Gum disease- also known as periodontitis- doesn’t need to be scary. There’s no reason to worry about a condition that is both preventable and curable if caught in the early stages. After all, at Thayer Dental Care, we offer advanced periodontal therapy to everyone in Thayer, Missouri.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection that affects the gums. It can decay bone structure, weaken the gums, loosen the teeth, and cause tooth loss. Built-up plaque and debris are common causes of gum disease- as a result, you can prevent gum disease with healthy habits. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental checkups will keep those gummy monsters away.
How do I Know if I Have Gum Disease?
While gum disease is pesky, it isn’t a stealth ninja. However, this is a double-edged sword, as symptoms tend to be both obvious and painful.
- Bloody Gums. If your gums are bleeding without an apparent cause, it’s time to investigate. Unpack your Sherlock hat and give us a call.
- Foul Breath. What’s worse: a toxic fart or foul breath? Answer: don’t be the cause of either. A clean mouth equals clean breath. Safeguard your oral health and social status at all costs.
- Loose Teeth. Periodontitis has a nasty habit of stealing teeth when you least expect it. Protect your teeth, and don’t lose them without a fight. When your teeth start to wiggle, it’s time to jingle our doorbell.
- Red or Swollen Gums. Overly red gums are like red traffic lights- if you see one, you stop immediately. Nothing good has ever come from swollen gums. Consult a dentist.
Is Gum Disease Preventable?
Yes! While some cases of gum disease may be genetic or unpreventable, you can always reduce the risk with proper care. Focus on things within your control, and maintain strategic dental habits. Regular brushing, flossing, and bi-annual dental checkups are great places to start. Not only will this prevent other problems like cavities, but it’ll also keep your smile looking fresh and bright.
Is Gum Disease Treatable?
Of course! Thanks to modern technology, we have a variety of techniques to manage gum disease. Depending on the severity of the infection, there are non-surgical and surgical methods of treatment:
- Scaling. Scaling is a simple, non-surgical method for cleaning the gums. With this treatment, we remove plaque and harmful bacteria around the gums. We scrap beneath the traditional gumline to ensure maximum cleaning and sanitation.
- Antibiotics. Topic and oral antibiotics can be great allies. Whether with gels or mouth rinses, we’ll prescribe based on your individual needs.
- Flap Surgery. With flap surgery, we lift the gums to treat hard-to-reach areas. In case of deep infection, we may need to dig deeper with this method.
- Bone Grafting. In worst-case scenarios, gum infection reaches and decays the bone. We’ll replace the deteriorated bone and give your gums a solid structure to regenerate.
Periodontal Therapy in Thayer, Missouri
Keep your chompers chomping with healthy gums! Like skyscrapers, we must give our teeth a strong foundation. When our gums become compromised, so does our entire oral structure. Teeth begin to fall out, gums swell, and mystery pus invades our personal space.
Thankfully, there is a solution. Thayer Dental Care offers the best periodontal therapy in Thayer, Missouri! Our dentists, Dr. Samir Patel and Dr. Chyrelle Blount have decades of combined experience. We invest in the best equipment, hygienists, and techniques available. If you prefer quality and longevity, then our treatments are for you.